Sunday, June 22, 2008

Just Say Yes

My good friend Stuart Crawford posted a blog yesterday about the power of saying yes. (http://www.stuartcrawford.com/). I replied to his post, but want to encourage you to check it out. Often I think we lose sight of just how powerful that word can be.

We are all busy, and can find an excuse to not do anything we are asked. It can become our habit and lifestyle - to just say no to everything. I have been there, particularly in my parenting. But the reality is that if we want to make an impact in people's lives, we have to say yes. And that carries right into how we do business. It is seldom that saying no to a customer request will create a deep and lasting relationship. Sometimes it is the right and only answer, but at the very least, we need to ask for time to evaluate their request before issuing a resounding no.

Are you saying yes to the things people are asking of you? Starting at home with your spouse and kids? That is where we build a lot of our relational habits. We need to be sensitive to the things they ask us and consider the impact of the word no. I am not advocating we become blind "yes" people. I am encouraging each of us to make sure we have not adopted the negative.

No comments: